Thursday, January 26, 2012

Lessons from my dogs

I was sitting on the couch two nights ago, one hand petting my dog (a super fluffy chow mix) and the fingers of my other hand running through my live-in boyfriend's hair.  I was suddenly struck by the thought that we should love other humans like we love our pets.  I love my dogs unconditionally, unabashedly.  I don't live in fear of them hurting me.  I don't worry that they'll leave me someday or find someone better.  I give my love to them freely, without expectation.  That's how we should love one another.  Why is it different with my boyfriend?  I love him, but there's a near-constant underlying fear that he'll hurt me, leave me, or disappoint me.  There's a wall, or at the very least a veil between us at all times.  It was at that moment, sitting on the couch between my boyfriend and my dog, that I decided to love my boyfriend like I love my dog.  Love without fear.  Love without expectation.  Just love him.  Enjoy that he's here now.  Enjoy whatever time together we have for what it is.  Just like I do with my dogs.  I'm in the moment with my dogs.  But with my boyfriend I'm more often dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.  Why? 

So that's why I decided to learn from my dogs.  Live simply.  Love fully.  Be present. 

LOVE without fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment